Fedora not "free" enough for GNU?

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Fri Sep 19 09:37:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 08:58 -0400, jude ui wrote:

> On 9/17/08, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>         jude ui wrote:
>
>                    Might want to take a look at
>

>                  http://doolittle.icarus.com/~larry/fwinventory/2.6.17.html
>
>                    Rahul
>

>                    Why is there the source for firmware?
>
>         >Sorry. I am not sure what that means.
>
>         Rahul
>
>         Thanks for the link - but it's debian-I thought we were
>         talking about Fedora here
>
> And to repharse my question - Can't you guys reselse the firmware as

"release"?

>  opensource - are they prosperity drivers? (correct me if I'm wrong)

"proprietary"?

If I understand you correctly(*), then yes, most (all?) firmware is
proprietary software for which we don't have the source code.

(*): It's a bit hard to answer questions where you have to guess what is
asked ;-).

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty