Re: Fedora not "free" enough for GNU?

On Sep 16, 2008, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 infradead org> wrote:

> Our 'kernel-firmware' package is currently built from the kernel source
> as a subpackage of the normal kernel build -- but we should stop doing
> that anyway, and build it instead as a completely separate package from
> the linux-firmware.git repository on kernel.org. That repository
> contains more firmware than the kernel does already, and is going to be
> gaining even more.

Speaking of which...

Any chance you could break up your repository into free and non-free
parts, so that Fedora could "build" them as separate packages, out of
separate sources?

Then people doing Free spins could still offer Free firmware, rather
than just removing it all, or having to clean it up in the very same
way that is currently done in linux-libre.