Re: How important is comps.xml to us these days? Which packages should be in comps.xml and which not?

On Saturday 20 September 2008 01:36:25 pm Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I recently created comps.xml files for RPM Fusion. During that a few
> things around comps.xml got discussed on the RPM Fusion lists(¹).
>
> That and a recent change (²) to
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/CompsXml
> made me wonder:
>

> How important is comps.xml to us these days?
>

> (Note that I mean Fedora and RPM Fusion with "us" here, as RPM Fusion
> for things like this just follows the Fedora guidelines)
>
> Comps.xml is afaics mainly used in anaconda (and thus indirectly in
> tools like pungi that rely on anaconda) and yum (if you know what to do)
> these days; PackageKit afaics doesn't use it much (or does it use
> comps.xml at all? Will that change?); it just lists everything it finds
> afaics (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not using PackageKit much and just
> use yum directly).
comps.xml is used by yum when doing group functions also   so "yum
groupinstall xfce-desktop"  gets that group info from the comps file.  its
still pretty vital.  and to get the highest visability to your package  you
should be entering it.

Dennis