Tried Pulse Audio Again--No Good For A11y

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Sep 23 12:18:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, 23.09.08 11:03, Bill Crawford (billcrawford1970 at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 September 2008 01:00:06 Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
> > Actually, nowadays I prefer seeing PA as black box, where only PA
> > decides what device clients should be connecting to, not the clients
> > themselves. Policy decisions should be up to the sound server, not the
> > client.
>
> This sounds like "we want to control everything" and, as the user of the machine
> I want to control everything. It's my tool. That's how I expect it to behave,
> not talk back to me (shades of 2001 here).

Bah, bah, bah!

I take that "world domination" goal very personal, you know? I want to
control all your audio streams, muaahahahahah! Muahahahahah! All your
streams are belong to us! muahahahaah!

Seriously, of course the sound server should decide the device policy
based on *user settings*, and it already does just that. PA will decide
things for you -- but only based on your preferences.

Lennart