Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 12:57:42 UTC 2008

Lennart Poettering wrote:

>>> I must correct you: the OSS API sucks. And ALSA is certainly a far
>>> greater piece of software than OSS ever was, and among the reasons is
>>> precisely the fact that it is a proper library instead of some fucked up kernel
>>> interface based on ioctls().
>>>
>>> Everyone hates ioctl()s. The kernel people do. The userspace people
>>> too. An API for application usage that is based around ioctl()s is
>>> thus mandatorily a big failure.
>> The people whose opinion I value disagree. I have no strong opinion
>> of my own, because I never wrote code to interface with either ALSA
>> or OSS.
>
> Oh my. So you know someone who thinks that ioctl()s are ingenious API
> design? You probably should choose your friends more carefully, then. ;-)

They are nicely minimalistic in that they permit device-specific
operations to be passed to a driver without waiting for some
overly-bulky generalized intermediate API that thinks it knows what
every device/driver might ever need to do.  The down side is that it is
very hard to subsequently decouple the application from the device - for
example to let it use a remote device on a machine with different
bit/byte ordering.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com