Tried Pulse Audio Again--No Good For A11y

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 20:50:29 UTC 2008

Lennart Poettering wrote:

>>> If we do, it's broken.
>> Why shouldn't I be able to do as many xdm logins as I want as the same
>> user?  This isn't an X issue.
>
> Because many apps don't distuingish state from configuration cleanly.

So you'd cripple the system because there are some bad apps?

> For example: you configure your gnome panel to include a clock
> applet. Then you open another session and add a network monitor applet
> to it. What do you expect from this? That both panels will always stay
> perfectly in sync and the network monitor applet is transparently
> added to the first session as well? When you log out from both, what
> happens when you log in again, do you get the panel layout from the
> first session or from the second session?

How is this different than running 2 instances of vi?  If you edit the
same file at the same time you'll have a conflict.  That doesn't mean
you should cripple the system to the point where it can't run 2
instances of vi.

> Also, most WMs support multiple desktops, which is basically the same
> as multiple sessions.

Except I want my other logins to be from other places.  Like one on the
console, one freenx/NX'd and floating, others xdm'd, perhaps Xnested.
Mostly I don't want to need to know the status of any of the other
desktops when I start a new one.  I could probably live with one
floating freenx if it could float on and off the console and always
resize to match the NX client, but those don't seem to work right.

> The question is: is it worth bothering at all with questions like the
> panel question above? Since the feature is redundant we might simply
> say: forget it, let's disable multiple logins and the problem is
> gone.

Windows terminal services has gotten this more or less right since at
least windows 2000 server that included 2 licenses for administrative
use.  If they can do it with an interface that wasn't designed to be
remote or multiuser, it can't be that hard.

But, if it can't be done right, the WM should enforce it and give you a
choice of killing the old session when you attempt a new login instead
of just letting random things fail.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com