Tried Pulse Audio Again--No Good For A11y

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 22:34:37 UTC 2008

Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Except I want my other logins to be from other places.  Like one on the
>> console, one freenx/NX'd and floating, others xdm'd, perhaps Xnested.
>
> There are two answers on remote login:
>
> 1) Unix shell over ssh - we're not breaking this, but it is what it is
> 2) Access currently logged in desktop over VNC/your-protocol-here via vino

freenx/NX is much, much nicer for remote access than vnc.  Nice enough
to give up logging in directly on the console at all if that won't mesh
and you do anything from other locations.

> Ideally vino would also allow you to dynamically enable remote new
> logins over GDM/XDMCP though policykit.

I'd settle for yanking the running session to my new login location if
the desktop resized appropriately.  I think vino/vnc's goal is
controlling remote session with the concept that there really are 2
copies of the session.  I want to have a remote session that is not
necessarily a copy of another one running somewhere else.  I realize
that freenx does in fact have a copy of the session tucked away
somewhere but it's not intrusive, doesn't tie up a physical console, and
  isn't restricted to one user/session at a time on a machine.  It is a
better fit for long-running sessions and mobile users than vino/vnc
where you have to start the session from a fixed console and
subsequently tie it up - and leave it open to intrusion, even when you
aren't there.

> But Xnest and console are broken and should not be supported except as
> debugging/development tools.

I think of Xnest as a test like a compiler being able to compile itself.
   If it doesn't work, there is something inherently wrong.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com