specspo and PackageKit

Stepan Kasal skasal at redhat.com
Wed Sep 24 14:04:07 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:05:29AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> I don't think he was saying we shouldn't translate the pkgs - I think he
> was saying - specspo might just be a bad solution.

agreed.

Each installation contains a specspo catalogue of all Fedora packages
(means Core + Extras in the yesterday's terminology).  Yet if an rpm
in Updates has fixed a typo in the summary or the description, the
string is not found in the catalogue and stays in English.
This might be mitigated by frequent updates of specspo, but:
1) specspo.rpm is relatively big
2) even with rpm-diffs, the diffs may still be big, as *.mo files are
cpmpiled hashes, not mere lists
3) it still isn't a solution for people who consume only selected
updates

Moreover, the specspo solution is not extensible at all; if you add a
third part repository, the messages just are not there.  And the
repository cannot install another catalogue, rpm uses just "the
catalogue".

specspo is as hostile to 3rd party rpm suppliers as is yum.repos.d
friendly to them.  Indeed, the design has to be fixed.
(I tried to think about it for some time, but have not invented
anything usable.  Clearly, some help is needed here.)

Stepan Kasal*

<tiny>* the current specspo maintainer</tiny>