rpms/blam/F-9 blam.spec,1.24,1.25

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Sep 25 05:55:38 UTC 2008

On Thursday 25 September 2008, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> I wonder even more why rpmdev-bumpspec says
>
>     Copyright (c) 2005-2008 Red Hat Inc.
>
> which is not correct. 2005 may be true for its origin, the pre-Fedora
> Extras era. For the first mass-rebuilds and beyond that it was developed
> further by me, and just because I don't want to claim full copyright,
> it should not be given to Red Hat for 2006-2008. That sounds very wrong
> to me, because nobody at Red Hat has been an author of changes to the
> script in those years.

This was discussed in several mails between you, me and notting in March when
I was about to add the script in rpmdevtools.  I asked you to add copyright
notices to the script, and you added it but without mentioning a copyright
holder.

When discussing it further, you concluded "(c) Fedora Project ... sounds
reasonable. Who is/are the original author(s)? [...]" and did not mention
that you would like to have your name there.  To your question (which
mentioned someone at Red Hat giving it out for the pre-Fedora Extras 3
period), Bill answered "If it was given out by someone @RH, you can just put
(c) Red Hat on it." and there were no further replies.  I wanted to have
something as the copyright holder in it, and since your version didn't have
one (it still doesn't, it seems), I put what's currently in it there based on
Bill's suggestion.  Maybe adding the years was not a good thing to do, but I
don't think there's any irreparable harm done.

If you or anyone who knows the history of the script can suggest a more
truthful set of copyright holder lines to have in it, patches welcome.  I'm
not going to invent anything based on informal discussions for the 2nd time,
so explicit patches or specified lines are needed to change it.  Or if you
like, the offer for commit access to rpmdevtools upstream (also discussed in
March) still stands so you could fix it yourself, just request it in FAS and
I'll approve it.