Re: please deactivate services by default!

Patrice Dumas wrote:
On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:24:45AM -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
...I still feel that this is a problem. Scenario:

If we're going to disable important system functionality, it's

It is acritical system functionnality for your use case. But for other
use cases it is something annoying, it fills /var/spool with unneeded
data, there is a daemon running (only listening on localhost, but
still). your use case is not superior to the use case of a user not
wanting to have a smtp daemon in the default case.

So, before taking away standard functionality that is expected on any unix-like system, perhaps you could ask the the user in question if he cares if important system messages are quietly discarded - and if not, where he would like them to be delivered.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell gmail com