Re: please deactivate services by default!

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell gmail com> wrote:

> If I'm looking at the right docs, ssmtp doesn't do the two simple things
> that need to be done:  aliasing, so you can get the system mail delivered to
> the right person, and local delivery.

I guess there is a hard dependency between "cron with custom user
cronjobs" and sendmail.  I don't want to break that, and it's probably
too late in the cycle for this change anyways. It does suck to have
everyone take this startup time hit if they're not using custom jobs,
but it's been slow for years, so we can take another cycle of slow.

For the next cycle, one possible solution to this is to have cron
itself start sendmail if there are custom jobs.  The system jobs
should on failure be treated as OS component crashes and be handled
through the same mechanism as
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/CrashHandling