Do we care about /sbin /bin linked to /usr/lib ?

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 14:00:09 UTC 2008

On Friday 26 September 2008 14:43:11 Dan Nicholson wrote:

> On the rpm5 list, Jeff Johnson mentioned that /bin/rpm was just a
> legacy thing that people expected and has since changed the package to
> install to $bindir (/usr/bin). Not that that applies here exactly, but
> making /bin/rpm usable when /usr is not available would require moving
> a lot of things to /lib.

Not that big a list, but hardly worth it.

Long term, I'll admit that getting rid of separate /usr may be a good idea,
Solaris appears to have done away with it a while ago (which surprised me,
since they used to make explicit provision for having shared /usr in their
package management system).

Anyway, there are quite a few situations in which you're basically screwed
unless you can run your package manager (and possibly things like ldconfig) so
I'd like to add another vote in favour of adding a "create a rescue image"
command somewhere ...