Re: please deactivate services by default!

Hi.

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:38:34 +0100, Bill Crawford wrote

> Surely the SMTP server isn't absolutely required to be on localhost?
> I never send any mail via localhost SMTP, it's all done through my
> company's mail servers or the Google ones for personal mail.

Unfortunately, sendmail isn't just a program, it's an API. Calling
/usr/lib/sendmail has been the way to get mail out (whereever out
is) in UNIX for, well, as long as sendmail exists, which is quite some
time.

That does not mean that it has to be "the" sendmail, of course.

Oh, and LSB requires that it's there.