unfrozen repo somewhere?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Sep 29 21:10:48 UTC 2008

> Don't you have (a) burn a CD,

No.

> and (b) _stop_ running your current
> OS/apps to boot a live image,

No, you can boot the iso in a virt environment.  It works great and is
damned fast.

>  plus not being able to update them and
> save files conveniently?

Wrong and wrong.  When using a USB key (which you can also do via virt
systems) you can in fact update software, save files/settings.  The
thing you can't do at this point is update the kernel.

>   All of those are good reasons not to bother.

Not to bother looking at what features it has also, obviously.

> And will the live image even run on an Intel Mac?

Yes, not only native, but also through virt technologies, such as
vmware, kvm, xen, qemu on Linux, vmware and parallels on OS X.

> I suppose you could run a CD live image inside of a bare VMware instance
> but you'd take a double hit or worse on performance plus wasting the
> time and plastic to burn the image.

How is it a double hit, especially if you're booting from the iso image
rather than a burned media?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!