Re: python-2.6 and python-3.x

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 10:20 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> A side note is that the Core devs apparently talked about naming the
> interpreter binary for python /usr/bin/python3 at the language summit.
> If they do this, /usr/bin/python will always mean python2 and
> /usr/bin/python3 will be for python-3.x.  Not sure if that influences
> us or not.

 I don't see why it would. We've had the possibility to
have /usr/bin/python2.4 etc. for a long time ... but it doesn't really
help us due the binary name only being part of the problem.
 In theory we could take this as an official "yes, this is a different
language" hint, and make a python3deps.sh for rpmbuild, rename all the
python pkgs etc. ... but even then, can gedit etc. embend both
languages?

--
James Antill <james fedoraproject org>
Fedora