Looking for reviews swaps

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Apr 7 14:17:31 UTC 2009

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Mar 7 avril 2009 15:45, Rahul Sundaram a écrit :
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>
>>> I say Fedora is inconsiseent: These sound files, images, etc. are
>>> not
>>> free and qualify Fedora as "non-free". Fedora's separation between
>>> "data" and "programs" is absurd.
>> So all OFL and Vera licensed fonts are non-free?
>
> We do not classify fonts as data in Fedora. They have to pass the same
> freeness requirements as programs.
>
> For OFL, some people like Bruce Perens feel it's not protective enough
> and almost akin to public domain
>
> For Vera, DejaVu has been proving for years the FSF four freedoms
> could be exercised.
Sure, esp. when taking "artistic rights" and "trademarks" into account.
But that's not my point.

> The only forbidden use-cases is use of the
> original trademark and distribution for profit of naked fonts not
> included in a larger software package, with the official FAQ
> clarifying a standalone rpm is a larger package.
My point is: "Data" also is source.

Therefore, I consider it to be essential that this data may be
"reused/copied" (e.g. adding fonts or jpgs to applications)
and to be "modified" (e.g. to derive icons for applications) etc.

In this particular case, the license doesn't allow "commercial
distribution" without their "frame-work".