making available usb usable iso's without using livecd-iso-to-disk or liveusb-creator

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Sat Apr 11 21:08:31 UTC 2009

Phil,

>  i can see no
> reason not to use this dual format for live releases, and if you think that
> because tools are available to use the existing method is a valid reason not
> to move forward with other more useful methods then i don't know what to say
> :-/

The iso is less useful than the existing method. The existing tools
can perform all sorts of checks, whereas dd is open to  mis-use. The
existing tools are non-destructive so I can have a load of general
purpose info (eg. Windows / Linux diagnostic tools and important data
files (ssh or WPA keys). The USB disk remains cross-platform readable.
I could do all this with the iso but would have to put multiple
partitions on the device, and it starts to get more complex...

I think the only way the existing tools could be improved is perhaps a
GUI version and the ability to have several images on one disk and a
boot menu to select between them.

-Cam