Re: rpms/proftpd/devel proftpd.spec,1.45,1.46

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

Paul Howarth <paul city-fan org> writes:
Matthias Saou wrote:
+# We'll need to find a better way to do this once RHEL6 comes out

A "better way" that I use is:
BuildRequires: /usr/include/tcpd.h
Works everywhere.

I think this is discouraged by guidelines because it makes the depsolver
work *much* harder to figure out which package the require actually
resolves as.  At least I know I've been told to avoid it when practical.

Of course, maybe fixing that is just a small performance fix in rpm ...

It doesn't make the depsolver work harder. It makes the user/builder download all the filelists metadata to do this look up - so it is a pain for users on slow/bad connections.

-sv