My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Thu Apr 16 08:35:25 UTC 2009

On 04/15/2009 08:59 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Haha :) No, it's just that, as far as I can see, the impact on newbies
> is that we tell them to reboot instead of doing ctrl-alt-backspace.

Yes, but why? There is no need to reboot the machine just because an
application, X in this case, causes problem. You only have to kill X,
and restart it, this is just what ctrl-alt-backspace have done in an
excellent way for years. I frankly can not see why this feature should
go, just because some few accidentally have pressed just that key sequence.

A better way to fix this might be to have a dialog. You presses
ctrl-alt-backspace, a dialog comes up saying, I will restart X in yy
seconds, with a cancel button. If X is toast, the alarm will the restart
X. If this is feasible, would this alternative not be a better one than
removing a feature that many likes and want to stay.

By the way, I can not recall seeing anyone complaining about that
ctrl-alt-backspace have caused them problems. Could someone please give
some links to discussions where this actually have happened.

/Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/