Getting rid of /usr for F12?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Apr 16 23:58:06 UTC 2009

Heya,

there's one topic that keeps popping up in various discussions: can't
we get rid of /usr? The seperation of / and /usr doesn't make much
sense anymore. We could make /usr a symlink to / for an interims phase
and everything would be good for conservative folks who think the FHS
is the holy bible.

In the past more and more stuff has been moved from /usr to /. It's
unlikely that it's going to become less. Also, right now I am aware of
quite a few packages that don't get the seperation of / and /usr right
and rely on stuff from /usr during early bootup.

Let's eliminate this source of errors and clean up our file system
layout a bit. Let's drop /usr for F12!

And for the folks who think /usr is awesome because it allows mounting
/usr ro while mounting / rw: it's not. Much more useful it would be if
/ in its entirety could be mounted ro. Debian allows that. It's not
too hard to make that work on fedora as well.

We wouldn't exactly be the first system without /usr as it seems. Hurd
does that too as I was informed. That makes at least one thing they
got right.

Let the flamefest begin!

Lennart