Multilib/multiarch debuginfo

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 17 14:10:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 15:00 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > Debuginfo is not made multilib.  That pathway leads to insanity.
>
> Sure.  What I was looking for was a way to tell yum to use a different
> $basearch in repo lookup for one command.  That way may also lead to
> insanity, I'm no authority on such things.  Another adequate option would
> be some specialized yum-utils tool that can be told to go look at an
> other-arch repo.  e.g. debuginfo-install --arch=i386 or something.

 A few of the yum-utils commands take a --archlist, repoquery and
yumdownloader both do for instance. This is more for looking at data on
ppc from an i386 box, as i386 is already in the archlist for x86_64.
 And that doesn't change what $basearch will be in the config. files
because doing that is a really bad idea due to the fact that you'll have
changed what /var/cache/yum/blah/ points to without the next run of yum
knowing (it's a bad idea to have the same repoid point to more than one
place).

 So what you probably want is to create a blah-i386 to go with your
normal blah repo. ... which hardcodes i386 as the arch. Leave it
disabled, and then whever you want to use it do:

 yumdownloader --repoid=blah-i386 whatever...

 yum --disablerepo='*' --enablerepo=blah-i386 whatever...

...you can use yum-plugin-aliases to simply the later, if you want.

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
"I'd just like to see a realistic approach to updates via
 packages." -- Les Mikesell