My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 22:43:02 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, how much is Microsoft paying you guys?  Anyone who has been
>> posting to this thread who has been receiving kickback money, please
>> let us know how much you are getting.
>
> You're going a little paranoid now i think.
> Also if you want to get it back the old way (like i do) you don't need
> to pay X.org 1 cent. Just fork it but think of the consequences if you
> do. X.org is huge.
>
> I really wonder why this change isn't reverted yet.. there are so many
> opposed to this new dontzap default that some Xorg devs just don't
> seem or want to listen.
> O and btw i had my first Xorg dontzap issue as well. luckily a CTRL +
> ALT + F# followed by a killall appname solved it and x worked fine
> again.

Increasingly the change sounds like a good idea just for the
increasing motivation it will create to fix broken issues with X.

X shouldn't be freezing and the causes of X freezes can be fixed. Yet
people will continue to mistakenly hit ctrl-alt-bs even if the
software is made perfect.  Yes, I think this is an unimportant change,
but that doesn't mean that I don't also agree with it.

I'm sorry, people in this thread have talked about "windows
mentality", but I think the real example of windows mentality is
having a "crash" button on your keyboard because your system sometimes
freezes.

Shall we add a wipe-dotfiles button next because sometimes they become
corrupted and the desktop environment no longer lets you log in?