changelog format

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Mon Apr 20 20:29:04 UTC 2009

David Cantrell wrote:
> On 04/20/2009 10:21 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 23:32 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
>>> I gather I'm expected to write the changelog in a spec file by hand.
>>
>> Why is this, BTW? Is there a reason we don't just generate it from CVS
>> commit messages, beyond "no-one's had time / inclination to implement
>> it"?
>
> Because there's no forced standard for CVS commit messages.  Plus,
> each CVS commit in pkgcvs does not necessarily equal a new release or
> version increment in the package.  At least that's not how I use pkgcvs.
>
> I view the RPM changelog as mostly fluff for end-user consumption.  We
> [the packagers] can summarize the main points of that release, note
> bug numbers addressed, and other major points for that iteration of
> the package.

I use rpm's changelog the way David does.  I consider the one in the RPM
to be the formal, end-user-facing record.  The CVS changelog is where
things like "EVR bump for chainbuild", "Fixed typo in summary" or "Shit,
forgot a BuildRequires" go.

--
in your fear, speak only peace
in your fear, seek only love