FOSS needs a central bug tracker

John5342 john5342 at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 21 19:01:55 UTC 2009

2009/4/21 Mark <markg85 at gmail.com>:
> OpenID is indeed a solution to one of the problems (multiple bug
> reporting accounts). But that would only work if:
> 1. All bug trackers support OpenID
> 2. all currently using a bug tracker update to a version that uses OpenID.

That shouldn't be an issue since it doesn't have to be an over night
change. The great thing about this kind of solution is that it can be
evolutionary.

> From the reply's so far i see that fedora (or the ones that did
> respond) would like the idea but have a hard time believing that
> something this massive can be done.

I have no doubt that something this massive *can* be done. We only
have to look at some of the huge web services out there such as google
to know its possible. I just have my doubts that a single bug tracker
can suit everybodies needs plus if getting people to use openid is a
big deal then moving everything to a central bug tracker is going to
be impossible. Others have also pointed out issues such as the sheer
size of things making it less useful and also the difficulty of
getting people to move so much.

> So. do you guys think i can start trying to contact the top 10
> distributions and see if i can get them all together on one place to
> talk about it (just an irc channel somewhere) or would that be a waste
> of time to do?

Can't hurt. Think from an idealistic point of view its great. Just
can't see it happening in real life for the reasons above and a load
more issues besides that i won't go into at the moment. Nothing wrong
with trying though. Good luck!

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...