development packages and multilib

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Apr 22 18:44:19 UTC 2009

> Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> writes:
> > Why don't we just move all x86_64 headers to /usr/include64, hack GCC to
> > look there instead when compiling x86_64, and be done with it?
>
> That doesn't solve the problem.  The part of the problem that's actually
> not solved today is the /usr/bin/foo-config problem.  Without a fix for
> that, making it a bit easier to deal with include-file diffs isn't
> worth anything.

The same way cross compilation identifies gcc and strip and whatnot.
Prefix it with the architecture. It just so happens autotools and
pkg-config already do this:

$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/mingw32-pkg-config
mingw32-filesystem-50-3.fc11.noarch
$ tail -n 5 /usr/bin/mingw32-pkg-config
# This is a useful command-line script through which one can use the
# macros from mingw32-macros.mingw32 cross-compilation.

NAME="_`basename $0|tr -- - _`"
eval "`rpm --eval "%{$NAME}"`" "$@"

... Hrm, Richard went about this differently than I did. Seems rather
rpm-centric...

$ rpm --eval "%{_mingw32_pkg_config}"

  PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR="/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/lib/pkgconfig";
export PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR;
  unset PKG_CONFIG_PATH;
  pkg-config