Re: Can we have a Delta-DVD release

Andre Robatino wrote:
Jonathan Steffan wrote:
James Gallagher wrote:
Even if the image size is kept below 4.3GB for a single disk, the delta download would be welcomed by many.

Look into makedeltaiso and applydeltaiso. You end up needing the
original (previous release/target) and the delta. This is only useful if
the old ISO is left around and you want to end up with a full ISO on the
other side. The size of a delta ISO between Fedora releases might be
larger then expected. It would be interesting to see some data on this
matter.

One can use a script such as the rawread script at

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm

to read an ISO off an optical disc. So the original ISO(s) can be read off the original install media, if one has those. Or one can just make a point of keeping the original ISO(s) on the HD after installing. And even if the size of the deltaiso was 60% or 70% of the full ISO, it would still be worthwhile to many.

Although the applydeltaiso man page doesn't document it, for the input ISO argument you can use /dev/dvd after popping in the old DVD (using the /media directory name doesn't work), for example

applydeltaiso /dev/dvd Fedora-9_10-i386-DVD.diso Fedora-10-i386-DVD.iso

When I tested this, it took somewhat longer than it did when using the ISO on the HD (48 minutes instead of 38). Still well worth it. I make a habit of keeping the old ISO on the HD, though, so if the old disc breaks or something before the new version of Fedora comes out, I can just burn a new copy.

If {make,apply}deltaiso are generalized to allow multiple input/output ISOs (I filed bug #497205 for this), this won't work anymore, since most people only have one optical drive. But in that case, someone could create a user interface that allows reading/writing the discs by popping them in, one at a time.