Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Apr 22 22:53:39 UTC 2009

> Well, we do have a couple of GUI mixers which still give you raw access
> - the xfce mixer is the most logical fit. But I'd really like to have it
> installed by default in this particular case. People will be happy at
> not having a GUI mixer with raw access to the hardware channels only if
> the shiny new abstracted mixer genuinely covers every case.

You can never cover _every case_, thats an illusion. Creating a usable
ui is to a large part deciding which cases are not worth supporting. You
just can't support everything that is possible by manually twiddling
with alsa internals, unless you just expose all the alsa guts 1-1 in the
ui. We've been there, and we don't want to go back to that.