FOSS needs a central bug tracker

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Apr 23 20:11:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 15:34 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> wrote:

> >> No, Google is just showing that they have enough monopoly power to dictate
> >> whatever proprietary "standard" they feel like. They're really the next M$.
> >> They cannot be trusted. They're only "friendly" towards Free Software
> >> insofar as it gives them a lot of software to parasite for proprietary web
> >> apps at no cost. Just ask yourself why the Affero GPL is banned on Google
> >
> > That doesn't make them wrong about OpenID's UI sucking.
>

> Does open ID dictate a user interface?

Yes. Current UI is users have to copy and paste long obscure meaningless
URLs to every site they want to log in to.

And as I read up on OpenID, I learn how fundamentally flawed it is.
Users don't care about URLs. They don't understand them. What they
understand is their *email address*.

This could be hacked around maintaining the existing OpenID structure by
coming up with some standard way to map emails addresses to OpenID URLs.
So if I enter whosit at whatsit.com, somehow whatsit.com is queried to
discover the URL for user "whosit". This could happen with DNS or HTTP
or something...