Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Andreas Thienemann andreas at bawue.net
Thu Apr 23 21:03:19 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Lennart Poettering wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply.

[ Differences in volume level between Windows and Rawhide ]

> Firstly the alsa mixer init database should have set up your system
> correctly. The database is incomplete unfortunately since most people
> don't send in a patch for the db after they fixed those settings
> manually. After running alsamixer -c0 alsa will remember and hence
> they never get annoyed by that anymore so they don't remember to post
> this anymore.

Okay. So fixing the database entry would solve that. Now, what data do I
need to extract from my system and where do I have to send that?

> However my plans for F12 should hopefully help to make this issue go
> away: on many machines we have quite a few volume controls in
> series. e.g. on Thinkpads there is the hw volume that is controlled by
> those magic keys, and then there is master, and then there is PCM. My
> plan is to collapse them all into a single slider which is possible if
> we have dB information about the sliders. The resulting slider would
> be the multiplication of the seperate sliders. This would both
> increase the range and the granularity of the overall volume slider
> and also allows us to fix the mixer initialization issue a bit since
> we would control both PCM and Master.

At least to me that sounds somewhat sensible. But I'm no audio guy. :)

But as it's a long term solution, the short term solution for me would
still be the alsa database.

regards,
 andreas