Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 11:53:20 UTC 2009

On Thursday 23 April 2009 21:50:57 Lennart Poettering wrote:

> However my plans for F12 should hopefully help to make this issue go
> away: on many machines we have quite a few volume controls in
> series. e.g. on Thinkpads there is the hw volume that is controlled by
> those magic keys, and then there is master, and then there is PCM. My
> plan is to collapse them all into a single slider which is possible if
> we have dB information about the sliders. The resulting slider would
> be the multiplication of the seperate sliders. This would both
> increase the range and the granularity of the overall volume slider
> and also allows us to fix the mixer initialization issue a bit since
> we would control both PCM and Master.

...this is not the right way to go.

Often, doing so with (say) a high-level CD input, will lead to clipping
somewhere in the hardware as soon as you add another signal. You have more than
one volume control for a reason.

> This should fix a lot of problems for a lot of people. However it will
> of course also annoy Mr. Lerwick. But I fear I have to live with that
> I guess.

This is - perhaps understandably, from reading the preceding discussion - being
completely dismissive of a real user with, from his point of view, a valid
complaint and use case. What makes him (and I, and others) upset is the clear
fact that you're not interested in "supporting" our use-cases *at all* ... and
we don't have any particularly bizarre needs.