The Great Pulseaudio Mixer Debate: a modest (productive) proposal

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Fri Apr 24 21:23:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 20:00 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 11:39 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >  Honestly, I totally expect that by f12, g-v-c
> > will be good enough to be the only GUI 'mixer' installed by default. I'm
> > proposing this as a stopgap for a single release.
>
> Except that it'll still be installed for upgrades. So it should be a
> conscious decision of the administrator of the machine/user to install
> it. If we were to obsolete it with gnome-volume-control, we'd get yelled
> out, and for a reason.

This was also true of, say, the original gnome-packagekit and pirut.
Eventually gnome-packagekit was widely accepted to be a full replacement
for pirut and it grew: "Obsoletes: pirut ..." and nobody minded and we
all went out for beers.

It's all going to work out OK in the end. "The middle of every
successful project looks like a disaster" and "The only way out is
through" and all that. F12 Alpha is something like 3 months away. Let's
concentrate on moving forward.

Onward to better volume controls! And cold* beers!

-w

*or preferred beer temperature for your locale