FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Apr 25 06:22:57 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 03:09 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> FYI, Adam didn't revive the old mixer (that is still in gnome-media, but
> disabled), he revived gnome-alsamixer, another GNOME ALSA mixer with no
> upstream.

It does have one; it's part of GNOME's git. The git checkout command is
included as a comment right at the top of the spec.

> The URL mentioned in the spec file[1] says:
> "The page cannot be found"

Sorry, I'll adjust that.

> If the thing is going to get installed by default, you should at _least_
> package up the old gnome-volume-control. Otherwise, yes, I'll be a pain
> and drag this to the board.

My thinking on that is explained in the bug report. I'd say the old
g-v-c has less of an upstream, because the old g-v-c effectively doesn't
exist anywhere except in history. Where could it get developed in
future, if we wanted to push some changes upstream? The new g-v-c is
effectively a completely different application, it doesn't count as
'upstream' for the old g-v-c any more. I don't think you'd be accepting
patches for the *old* g-v-c into the *new* one :)

gnome-alsamixer exists as a module in GNOME git. Hence if we're correct
in identifying a demand for a full-access mixer in GNOME,
gnome-alsamixer is in fact the project which could more easily be
resurrected as a proper upstream application. It'd be rather hard to do
that for the old g-v-c - it would have to be changed to be identified as
something completely different from the *new* g-v-c.

I'm not particularly attached to this logic, though. If everyone agrees
the old g-v-c is the way to go I'm fine with that, as I said all I
really wanted is a full-access mixer in the default install.
--
Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>
Red Hat