FOSS needs a central bug tracker

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Apr 26 01:01:35 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 19:32 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> wrote:

> >> Having a single account over multiple account is an improvement.

> >> Why not?

> >> Why not? This is trying to solve the problem of multiple accounts not
> >> laziness. Eventually I'm sure there will be browser extensions to auto
> >> enter your open id info if you can't bare to Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V.
> >
> > Does ease of use mean anything to you? Think about browser devices that
> > don't have keyboards.
> >
> > You're trying to solve a much smaller problem than me. How is entering
> > your email everywhere an improvement over just using the same password
> > on every site? All you've done is made it so you enter one thing instead
> > of two. That's *it*. (Does OpenID even remove the need to go through an
> > email validation loop on every single site? Since it completely avoids
> > the entire notion of email, I don't think it does...)
>

> Are we still talking about making being a bug filer across multiple
> projects easier?

Uhhh, yes, actually. Need a scenario?

Jeb files a bug against FooBar in the Fedora bugzilla. The Fedora
maintainer decides it's best this bug is moved into the upstream
Bugzilla. Jeb has never used the FooBar bugzilla, and doesn't really
understand or care about details like who's bugzilla his bug is in. He
just wants it fixed.

How do you move the bug, and keep Jeb in the loop?

Are we going to make Jeb have to go through a sign-up and email
confirmation loop on the FooBar bugzilla before he can continue
communicating? What's the likelyhood of him even bothering?

Its these little annoyances that drive people off. Sure, call them lazy
all you want. But it's not going to help them.

Or does OpenID allow him to seamlessly log in to the FooBar bugzilla
with his Fedora account, without knowing or caring about the details.

It goes like this:

Jeb is directed to the new FooBar bug. He tries to post something, but
the site asks him to log in. A "Log in with your Fedora account" button
is displayed. He clicks it. Done, he's logged in. One click.

We can make that happen.