Problem with build-id and cycling the free pascal compiler

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Sun Apr 26 20:41:56 UTC 2009

We should figure out why they are different.  (Off hand I don't think this
issue should have changed in the build tools since F10.)

Can you give me two binaries they you think ought to be identical, but
which had different build IDs generated?

I want to get to the bottom of the problem before you change anything.

But I'll note that if you were to use --build-id=none then you'd have your
rpm build break in the find-debuginfo.sh stage because of missing a build ID.
However, --build-id=0x00000000000000000000 (or any 20 hex digits you choose)
will hard-code that bogus build-ID during your link stages.  That will make
your comparisons fine if your binaries are really identical.  Then, the
find-debuginfo.sh stage will regenerate the build IDs after it edits the
source file names in the DWARF information.

But let's find the real source of the problem and fix it rather than
working around it.

Thanks,
Roland