Virtualization comps group in f11

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Apr 27 09:12:26 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 08:52:40PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> A user on #fedora noted that they installed the Virtualization group,
> but couldn't get any vm's to install or work.
>
> We tracked it down to them not having qemu installed.
>
> Looks like the f11 comps file still lists 'qemu-kvm' in the
> Virtualization group, and not any of the qemu packages. ;(
> Even tho there is a Provides: qemu-kvm in qemu-system-x86, groupinstall
> doesn't seem to pull it in.
>
> - Is there a unexpected yum behavior here? Or is a virtual provides not
>   allowed in a comps group?
>
> - Should we just change the 'qemu-kvm' to 'qemu' in the f11-comps?

There's two options, we can default to installing the whoile of QEMU
which includes all arch emulators and KVM (eg, the qemu RPM), or
default to just the x86 emulators (which includes KVM, but only if
non an x86 host - we qemu-system-x86 RPM).   I think its probably
worth going for 'qemu-system-x86'  in comps, because the non-x86
archs are not really used very much and quite alot less stable.

Daniel