Abandon "Default Desktop"

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Mon Apr 27 09:54:42 UTC 2009

In the resent discussion regarding "audio" and to further enhance the
project and to
allow all desktop environment projects to play on a fair ground
regardless if they are old
grown and known projects or new and emerging one and thus being able to
compete on a fair
ground amongst them self's in the form of live spins and to prevent any
misunderstanding that
an issue regarding one desktop environments might be present and or
affect all of them and thus
have negative impact on all the desktop environments we currently ship.

I propose that we stop referring to and ship a "Default desktop" but
instead will start
referring to their project name instead.

AFAIK what would be required to accomplish this is change all
documentation and filenames to refer to Gnome desktop instead of Default
desktop, Fedora desktop or just Desktop and make minor changes to Anaconda.

We probably would want to create a new Wiki page that would have a brief
description and a download link to their live spin.

The desktop environments spins along with all other spins should be
under the projects total control unless they're content violates
Fedoraproject in any way or form.

This requires the Fedora Board and or FESCO to neither enhance or hinder
a projects growth/content/decision on the projects corresponding spin.

I hope the community can keep this discussion strictly on the
professional notes and finally will reach consciousness regarding my
proposal.

Best regards

            JBG