2.6.29 kernel for f10

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Mon Apr 27 14:46:16 UTC 2009

On 04/27/2009 12:15 PM, M A Young wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Dennis J. wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing 2.6.29 packages for f10 showing up on koji for a while now
>> but they never end up as a real update. Is there any particular reason
>> for that?
>
> I imagine that the intention is to go to 2.6.29 on f10 at some point,
> but there are still issues to fix before it is ready for general
> release. For example one such issue that is now solved is that 2.6.29
> uses a different version of squashfs to the one in f10, which meant that
> things such as liveCDs would cease to work (this was solved by adding
> the code for the earlier version of squashfs to 2.6.29), but there may
> be other things that still need to be resolved.

I guess I'm wondering why so much effort is put into this when by the time
the kernel gets released for f10 it is already outdated and we are moving
towards a f12 release which will end the support for f10 anyway.

If f10 and/or kernel 2.6.29 is going to be the baseline for RHEL 6 then I
could see why such an effort is made but other than that, why bother?

Regards,
   Dennis