Things to do this week instead of arguing about mixers

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Mon Apr 27 19:36:06 UTC 2009

Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>
>> * Come up with some template autoconf magic to make it easy for
>>  apps to detect fallocate() at build time, and some example
>>  code on how to use it
>>  - Should it fall back to posix_fallocate if fallocate is absent?
>>
>> * Decide on some consistent buildt-time, run-time, and
>>  configuration behavior when enabling this
>>  - should build time use posix_fallocate if only it is available?
>>  - config enabled == use fallocate whenever the fs supports it?
>>  - config enabled == fall back to posix_fallocate or not?
>>  - I'd be happy enough with exclusively using fallocate()
>>
>> * Come up with a list of apps which could benefit:
>>  - all torrent clients?
>>  - rsync? (some patches have floated before)
>>  - rpm? (file installation and/or db files?)
>>  - databases?
>>  - file downloaders?
>>  - virt image tools?
>>  - ____ ?
>>
>> * Work with Fedora package maintainers and/or upstream to get this
>>  hooked up where appropriate
>

> Is any of the above implemented at a layer where yum could take advantage
> of it? b/c I can imagine being able to say "we're going to need X amount
> of space to download all these pkgs" and then have rpm say "and we'll need
> X amount of space in order to actually RUN the transaction"

This reservation is really done on a per-file granularity; it's not for
doing things like "reserve me 8G of space for some number of files I may
write later" - it's more like "reserve me 5.2M of space on this file
descriptor; ok that worked now I'll write to it; rinse; repeat"

So I'm not sure this directly helps the case where, say, the test
transaction squeaks in with enough space, something else uses up some
space after that, and then the real install of the rpm set fails ...

-Eric