2.6.29 kernel for f10

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Apr 28 14:42:11 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Dennis J. <dennisml at conversis.de> said:
> In general I find that if I come across developments that are in some form
> out of the ordinary understanding *why* things happen that way often helps
> me plan better for the future. Not that it really matter all that much in
> this particular case. Like you I was just curious about what's going on.

IIRC, the Fedora kernel team tries to keep all the current releases on a
similar kernel version, at least for a while.  At this point, not much
energy will go into F9, since it will stop getting updates before long,
but F10 still has over half its life left, so updating it makes sense.
If they can keep F10 and F11 along similar lines, it cuts down their
work at tracking bugs and such (supporting one kernel version is enough
work; supporting two or three is a recipie for burnout).

The kernel of course has widespread impact, but as far as dependencies
go, it is relatively self-contained.  New features may only be enabled
in newer Fedora to keep from impacting existing releases (i.e. some new
feature in 2.6.29 may only be enabled on F11 and not F10).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>