FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 18:29:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 13:50 -0400, William Jon McCann wrote:

> OK, so here's the problem with this.  Compromise sometimes works well
> when trying to form rough consensus, or for finding the least
> disagreeable position for the most people - for politics maybe.
> However, it does not work well as a technique for designing products
> that people love to use.  When you find the middle ground between
> great and awful you don't find good - you find mediocrity and malaise.
>  Please read http://headrush.typepad.com/ for more on this topic.
>
> We've been designing compromised products for far too long.  We need
> to acknowledge that we can't please everyone all the time and need to
> make choices.  We need to resolve to be great - it doesn't just happen
> by accident.

Sorry, but I think you're picking entirely the wrong case to try and
make your point. Try as hard as I can, I can't see how it would be
better to have the Brave New World mixer and a wiki page instructing
people on how to use alsamixer than it is to have the Brave New World
mixer and a second mixer application available in the menus. The total
cost to the design of the desktop is: one additional menu entry. I'm
really having a hard time seeing how this is a terrible design decision.

(and later in the post you repeat the "somewhat atypical system/setup"
canard. "I want to select an input channel" is not remotely atypical.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey