Critical Path Packages - Enforcement?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Aug 4 19:06:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 03:08 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a few questions for the folks involved with the Critical Path
> Packages proposal, as I'm still confused about the implementation details:
>
> 1. How will the policy be enforced? Will Bodhi withhold submitted updates
> for packages in the depsolving hull of @critical-path until they get
> approval from QA and/or rel-eng, like it currently does for security updates
> until security team approval?

That's the current plan, yes.

> Assuming the answer to 1. is "Yes":
> 2. Will critical-path-gnome also get the same enforcement?
> 3. Will critical-path-kde also get the same enforcement?
> 4. Will critical-path-* for spins.fp.o spins also get the same enforcement?

I'm not sure what groups have been created, but it is my understanding
that we are considering the gnome desktop and packagekit the critical
path for updating.  We are not considering alternatives in alternative
desktops as part of the critical path.

> If the answer to any of the above (1. to 4.) is "No", what kind of
> enforcement will there be? When we discussed critical-path-kde today at KDE
> SIG, we were very much confused about what exactly the practical
> implications will be. I think it won't be of much use to define critical
> path packages if that definition doesn't lead to some actual enforcement.

It would be of use to KDE volunteers who wish to be alerted when there
is something critical to KDE being proposed for update, so that they can
seek it out and test it, even if there is no enforcement at the bodhi
level.  Tools can be created that will alert when a package as part of
the KDE critical path hits bodhi.

> What we basically agreed on in KDE SIG (see also our meeting log [1]) was:
> * The KDE spin being one of the primary spins, critical-path-kde should get
> the same kind of enforcement as critical-path-gnome. (We have no official
> opinion about stuff like critical-path-xfce as that's out of the scope of
> our SIG.)

At this time, KDE is not part of the critical path.  As we get to
actually deploying code for and using critical path functionality, we
can expand what is covered or create other groups to cover other areas.
We are starting small to trial before we try and solve everybody's
problems.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!