License change for ghostscript

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 19:03:23 UTC 2009

On 08/05/2009 02:38 PM, Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> Apropos, what's the license in case a GPL package links against OpenSSL?
> GPL with exceptions or what? Or is it even allowed?

So, in this specific case, I'm still arguing with Red Hat Legal, and we
have not determined our final stance.

In the interim, if you have a specific instance of this scenario, you
should ask the upstream of the GPL project to add a linking exception
for OpenSSL, something like:

In addition, as a special exception, <COPYRIGHT HOLDER> gives permission
to link the code of its release of <CODE> with the OpenSSL project's
"OpenSSL" library (or with modified versions of it that use the same
license as the "OpenSSL" library), and distribute the linked
executables. You must obey the GNU General Public License in all
respects for all of the code used other than "OpenSSL". If you modify
this file, you may extend this exception to your version of the file,
but you are not obligated to do so. If you do not wish to do so, delete
this exception.

~spot