KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 19:44:05 UTC 2009

On 08/05/2009 12:11 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 11:58 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> Also, having the expectation that the other repository is for security
>> updates doesn't address the problem of a security release breaking ABI.
>
> That's rather unlikely (well, except in oddball cases like Firefox /
> XULRunner),

heh, the exact case I was thinking of :-)

> but sure it does - if a security update cannot be done in
> any way other than by breaking API/ABI, you ship rebuilds of all
> dependent packages as official updates in the stable update repository.
> That's how we'd handle it at present anyway. The normal policy is you do
> the minimum possible amount of changes to address vital problems, but
> you do _have_ to fix them, even if the 'minimum possible amount of
> changes' involves rebuilding a dozen packages. This is how all
> conventionally updated distros work, AFAIK (including for e.g. RHEL -
> they wouldn't just leave a security hole unpatched because they had to
> break an API/ABI to fix it ...)

Sure, this is comparable to the present situation.  But it doesn't seem
like it makes things much better.

* It doesn't solve the original poster's issue (that the GNOME stack
isn't going to be updated for F10 since the maintainers don't want to do
this and the policy wouldn't require it)
* It doesn't solve the follow-on issue of things being different between
major Fedora components (since gnome maintainers don't want to
participate but kde maintainers do)
* It makes things more complex (for instance, we would have to build
packages against multiple repository sets -- ie: [F12-release +
F12-updates-security] [F12-release + F12-updates-security +
F12-updates-adventurous] since there could be incompatibilities between
the packages in updates-security and updates-adventurous.).
* It makes more work for rel-eng to prepare and push the extra repos.

-Toshio