KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 20:04:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 12:44 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> Sure, this is comparable to the present situation.  But it doesn't seem
> like it makes things much better.
>
> * It doesn't solve the original poster's issue (that the GNOME stack
> isn't going to be updated for F10 since the maintainers don't want to do
> this and the policy wouldn't require it)
> * It doesn't solve the follow-on issue of things being different between
> major Fedora components (since gnome maintainers don't want to
> participate but kde maintainers do)
> * It makes things more complex (for instance, we would have to build
> packages against multiple repository sets -- ie: [F12-release +
> F12-updates-security] [F12-release + F12-updates-security +
> F12-updates-adventurous] since there could be incompatibilities between
> the packages in updates-security and updates-adventurous.).
> * It makes more work for rel-eng to prepare and push the extra repos.

The major thing it solves is it makes it possible to reliably get only
'conventional' updates. At present, as traditional security / bugfix
updates are mixed up with more adventurous updates, you can't do this.

An alternative would be to tag updates within a single repo in a way
that yum and PackageKit understand and have appropriate configuration
options to enable certain types of update, which would really be much
the same situation, just organized slightly differently.

Either way it's going to be some level of extra work for someone
somewhere, I haven't denied that. Was just discussing the parameters of
addressing (or not addressing) this issue. It's not possible to make all
parties happy in the current framework, so either we change something,
or we take a specific decision to make some parties unhappy, and justify
that formally.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey