KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 21:24:59 UTC 2009

> On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 13:04 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >
> > An alternative would be to tag updates within a single repo in a way
> > that yum and PackageKit understand and have appropriate configuration
> > options to enable certain types of update, which would really be much
> > the same situation, just organized slightly differently.
>
> We already tag updates as either security, bugfix, or enhancement.
> yum-security would only install the security ones.  However what was
> yesterday's security update can become today's enhancement update, so
> you'd have to consume the enhancement in order to get the security fix.
> Likewise tomorrow's security fix may be built against yesterday's
> enhancement for something else, so in order to get the security for A
> you have to get the enhancement for B.

That was the problem I initially thought of with this method, but then I
thought - there's no actual reason we can't have different trains of
updates in a single repository, is there?

We could have:

foo-1.0-2 (conservative bug fix, tagged as such)
foo-2.0-1 (adventurous version upgrade, tagged as such)

within one updates repository, couldn't we? Is there anything that
unavoidably says we can't?

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey