rt2860 driver (fc11)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Aug 6 10:59:05 UTC 2009

On 06.08.2009 11:34, drago01 wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Orcan Ogetbil<oget.fedora at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> They won't ever (the rtxxxx Vendor drivers)
>> >From my understanding, the staging tree of the kernel contains drivers
>> that are being prepared to be included in the main kernel tree[1].
>> Correct me if I'm wrong.
>> I'm not quite sure if I could catch what you meant. Are you being
>> sarcastic, implying that the rt2xxx staging drivers will stay in the
>> staging repo forever? I sure hope not :) Hey! Don't break my hopes!
>
> The rtxxxx vendor drivers are considered a dead end by the
> linux-wireless developers (just try to read the code and you would now
> why), the plan is to get rt2800pci and rt2800usb into shape and get
> them upstreamed.
>
> They get no support from the wireless developers at all, Greg added
> them to staging because "they are better than no drivers".
>
> See the linux-wireless list for details.

A small "just for your information" in addition to what drago said
(which is all afaics correct):

Some rough support for newrt ralink usb devices was added for 2.6.31; see
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=d53d9e67b55f6a9fc3f836c5c392eb41ce5676f4

for details like this commit-comment:
"""
Current problems:
 * Cannot scan 11n AP's
 * No TX during first minute after association
 * Broken Hardware encryption
"""

CU
knurd