KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 6 20:53:26 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson wrote:
> Same question for KDE - someone writes a tool for their group based
> on some KDE libraries, doesn't expect an update to come along and do
> a major KDE version bump and break some interface the tool relied
> on...

KDE would generally consider it a bug if that happened (API compat
broken by a non-major* update), unless it was an interface that already
had a big "BC/SC not guaranteed" warning label.

(* major = e.g. KDE3 -> KDE4)

There may be situations in which such a break would be done anyway, but
there would have to be a strong argument why such change is so critical
as to warrant a compatibility break.

--
Matthew
Thank you for reading all the way to this .sig. You may stop reading