soname number bump for audit-libs

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Aug 10 17:19:36 UTC 2009

On Monday 10 August 2009 01:04:32 pm Jesse Keating wrote:
> > OK, fine. I'll wait until after the Alpha freeze is over.
> >
> Even after that one has to wonder, why is a change like this going in
> after the feature freeze.

It would have been in before feature freeze if sc-audit hadn't gotten stuck in
package review.

> How big of an ABI change is this, will there have to be any porting effort,
> what's the risk, what's the gain?

Should be little risk. This removes the old API needed for communicating with
kernels before the 2.6.16 kernel was released. Somewhere around 2.6.22
libaudit made the old API hard to use. It was still there for anything linking
to it. I have not looked in detail at all the packages on the dependency list
but the changes only affect the audit rule setting interface and not the
logging interface. Auditctl is likely to be the only program affected by the
change, but to be safe and make sure nothing falls through the cracks, the
number is bumped. Almost all apps are using the logging interface and are not
affected.

If anything actually is sending audit rules, the porting is trivial. You just
use the _data equivalent function and use the audit_rule_data structure to
hold your rules.

The gain is that we want to clean up/deprecate the old kernel API somewhere
around 2.6.36 and need user space to quit using it asap.

-Steve