TeX Live 2009 for Fedora

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 14:57:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 16:29 +0200, Jindrich Novy wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 03:53:06PM +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Please be sure you remove all the old formats generated with the old
> TeX Live. In most cases clearing the /var/lib/texmf/ and ~/.texlive* contents
> should make it work.

Thanks, didn't occurred to me, that I need to rm -rf
also /var/lib/texmf. It's working now :) When you'll do the upgrade in
Fedora proper, it might be a good idea to clear /var/lib/texmf then (via
the packages)...

> You might want to add:
>
> csplain      pdfetex     -     -etex -enc csplain-utf8.ini
> cslatex      pdfetex     -     -etex -enc cslatex-utf8.ini
>
> in /usr/share/texlive/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf instead of the links to
> cp227.tcx translate-file.

Thanks, that did the job. I noticed during the time I tried to make
csplain working that removing and re-adding the texlive-csplain package
adds to this file lots of garbage which make csplain format generation
not working... You'll get lines like:

csplain pdftex - -extex -translate-file=cp227.tcx cslatex.ini pdftex -
-extex -translate-file=cp227.tcx cslatex.ini and so on

Would be worth fixing, even though it's a corner case...

Anyway, after installing some (which looked like I'd might need them)
collections and texlive-bbm, I was able to successfully build my
Bachelors' thesis (it's about general relativity, and it uses pretty
pretty much everything I've ever tried with TeX, so the coverage is
rather good), so I can say that (cs)plain (utf8) works in TexLive 2009
well.

Martin