Some ideas/questions about yum

Hedayat Vatankhah hedayat at grad.com
Sat Aug 29 09:15:24 UTC 2009

/*Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org>*/ wrote on ‫جمعه ۲۸ اوت ۰۹،
۲۲:۰۳:۱۰‬:

> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Hedayat Vatnakhah wrote:
>

>> You don't need to know about all existing repositories, since you can
>> still resolve file level dependencies. In such
>> cases you'll be forced to download the other file I mentioned
>> (primary_file_deps.db).
>> I don't see why you'll need to recreate all repos when one of them
>> changes! Sorry :( And its impossible to state anything
>> about the last item.
>
> You're going to pretty much instantly download the complete filelists
> then b/c if you add ANY 3rd party repo you're going to need /bin/sh
> probably immediately along with various and sundry items in /etc/.
Yes, that's true if the third party repositories do not use this
feature. BTW, I think if you make an exception for /bin/ and /etc/
contents, you'll still save a reasonable amount of space in the primary
repo (I think it would be enough to remove library dependencies).

> Now - an argument could be made for nuking /bin/sh deps from orbit but
> that's going to have to happen at another layer than this.
>
>> IMHO, even a single php/python script can provide such a XML RPC
>> service (web service was just an example). Mirrors could
>> get this file just like the other files when syncing. But well, it'll
>> be http only. The GPG sign issue could be
>> problematic, but would you really need to sign the traffic?!
>
> 1. a lot of our mirrors won't want to run any app
> 2. some of our mirrors are not running on linux (or sometimes not even
> on a unix)
> 3. it makes 'mirroring' things much harder in the traditional sense
> 4. yes you need to sign it otherwise you'll get the same set of
> problems we just dealt with last fall. We have to sign the metadata to
> make sure clients aren't screwed.
OK, so, the last item is enough to reject the whole idea.

Thanks,
Hedayat